Modern Korean food rather than traditional, this is a firm favourite in our house.
A printer friendly version of the recipe can be found here.
1 Lb / 500 G Chicken breast
0.5 Cup Potato starch powder
0.25 Cup Plan flour
0.25 Cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp Baking soda
Vegetable oil (for deepfrying)
4 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1 Tbs vinegar
0.5 Cup Tomato ketchup
0.33 Cup Golden syrup
0.25 Cup Hot pepper paste
1. Slice the Chicken breast into 3 inch strips.
2. Mix chicken, potato starch powder, plain flour, sweet rice flour, baking soda, salt, pepper and the egg together in a bowl until all the chicken is evenly coated.
3. Deep fry the chicken in either a wok or deep fat fryer over a high heat for 10 minutes, If using a wok wait until the oil bubble if you dip the chicken in it. Make sure all the chicken pieces are separate before frying!
3. Remove chicken from oil and shake through a strainer, allow to sit for 4-5 minutes.
4. Return chicken to Fryer and cook for a further Ten minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
5. Whilst this is frying (or after) place the minced garlic, Vegetable oil(1 Tbsp), vinegar, tomato ketchup, golden syrup and hot pepper paste in a small frying pan and simmer the mixture whilst stirring for 7 minutes. (be careful not the burn the sauce).
6. Once done, mix the chicken and sauce together in a bowl till the chicken is coated.
7. Serve with Rice mand Kimchi.